Sunday, December 16, 2007

Kevin Retires from the MOARNG



Okay, I am way behind with posting! This picture (not a good one) is from December 1. Kevin officially retired from the National Guard on October 1, but his unit had a retirement ceremony for him on Dec 1. Here he is saying a few words after they gave him this really neat picture and yes, that is an Elmo on the floor behind him. He is dressed in an Army uniform, including hat, Kevin's dogtags and boots. Kevin is known for his Elmo impersonation...I didn't know he shared it with his soldiers, too! Of course Graycen has claimed him as her Army Elmo and he has a place sitting on the end of her bed.

It was moving to see how the guys in his unit respect him and look to him as an example. I know he is a great guy, but to see others appreciate him was neat.

Kevin served for 21 years in either the Army or National Guard. He is now on Retired Reserve status, which means he could still get called up if things get really bad, but he should be home for quite awhile, hopefully forever. I am very happy he is no longer going to drills. I know he misses some aspects of it, but the bad was beginning to overcome the good for him. If he hadn't retired, he would be going to either Iraq or Kosovo for a year very soon. I don't think I could handle another deployment, or at least I wouldn't handle it very well. He missed out on 3 years with his family between September 11, 2001, and October 2005. It was hard on all of us. I am so proud of his service and know personally that freedom is not free, especially to the the soldiers and their families.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Sheryl, it was so wonderful reading and seeing your family. Your Mom is so proud of you and the wonderful wife/mother that you have become. Every time I talk to her she has new stories to tell me. I am glad I can follow your family on-line. God will hold you close through all that you have done and will continue to do.

Love, Marilyn Bauer (Wasson