Monday, October 11, 2010

We are doing GREAT!!

Okay, I apologize for being silent!  I have been "encouraged" by a couple of friends to post.  I know silence can breed all kinds of questions, so let me just say that all is well at our house.  The reason for my absence has been that we are just busy.  I may not be posting for a long while after this one, mainly because of lack of time.

First off, let me say thank you for all the kind words about my friend Jill.  I was not able to make it to her visitation or funeral.  I am so sad, but only for myself and the others left behind.  She is finally free of pain and sorrow, and for that I am rejoicing.  She has earned a big, big house in heaven!

Our flights home went great.  We had no problems, and Greg did good, even on the long one.  When we arrived in Chicago, we were able to meet up with our friend Maggie and her mom, who is visiting from China right now.  It was great to see Maggie!  We miss her so much now that she is in Chicago.  Greg was tired, and didn't feel like talking.  I'm sure he was also a little overwhelmed with arriving in the USA.  Everything was in English and not many Chinese people or language.  He was kind of in shut down mode while we were visiting with Maggie and her mom.  When we headed to the gate, Greg became very excited, as he knew we just had one more short flight to arrive home.  We got him his first happy meal and our boarding time couldn't come quickly enough.  I tried to prepare him that there were a lot of people waiting to greet us.  I know he understood, but actually experiencing it would be something different.

We arrived in Springfield to about 35 people!  It was great to see all our kids, parents, my brother and so many dear friends.  The sweetest were the 4 boys from our church that are Greg's age.  Their mom's happen to be some of my dearest friends :).  They made a sign that said, "Welcome Greg" and signed it (along with some others).  When we first came through the door, Greg was just ready to keep walking and go get our bags and go home.  It took a little convincing that we needed to hang out and greet our welcomers.  He kind of hung out by himself for awhile, but soon was given gifts from his new "friends", which helped to break the ice a little.  We finally headed for home.  Once we arrived, it was so fun to see and watch Greg's reaction as he saw each new thing at his new home.  He was so excited, and literally bouncing from room to room.  We eventually got to bed, and then the craziness of our new life had begun.

We have done really well with jetlag, so that can't even be my excuse for not posting.  Our girls missed us, as well as the boys (although they don't admit it so readily).  We have jumped right back into running to physical therapy, band competition, football games, church and Kevin work.  He even worked the Friday night after we arrived home. 

Now for what you are all dying to hear.  How is he doing??  He is doing AMAZING!  First of all, he is one great kid.  He was so well prepared for us to come and has been cared for by some awesome people.  They have helped to form him into the well-mannered, kind, thoughtful and loving boy he is.  We are so grateful for them!  God has blessed our socks off by allowing us to become the parents to Greg FuXing Holle!  I am aware that we may still have some difficult (or just plain hard) things to get through in the future, but for now I am taking each good day as it comes, and being very thankful.

Greg had already figured out the personalities of his two sisters on the first night.  He is really observant, and Graycen was talking to him non-stop.  We are miraculously communicating through limited English for him miniscule Chinese from me and lots of gestures, miming and charades.  We also do have the online translators and the handheld for things that we just can't get across the other ways.  Yesterday was our second Sunday at church.  The first week he stayed with us in the "adult" service upstairs.  He fell asleep :).  But we had just arrived home on Thursday night.  Sunday night is the kids Christmas program practice, which Graycen & Galia are participating in.  We stayed in there with them, and Greg fell asleep again :).  Yesterday he went to Jr. Worship with his sisters and sat by his new friends.  He enjoyed it, I think.  He was impressed with one of his friends ability to recite the books of the Bible really fast, and let him know with gestures.  He is really embracing his new life with both arms, and we are so proud of him.  Last night was Christmas program practice again.  He hung out with his dad for most of the time, but when they went back to watch, he did join in with the actions and will probably be participating also.  We just want to let him take his time so that he feels comfortable, and he makes the choice to do things at his own pace.  So, church is going good--we are making progress at a quick pace.

Now for school.  Tomorrow (Tuesday) he will have his assessment testing done at his new school.  There will be a Chinese interpreter present, so he can be tested in his first language.  It is a man, who is also the pastor at the Chinese Church here in town.  I am happy to make this contact, as there are just many things that I am unable to communcate to him that are VERY important.  We also have several Chinese students that attend our church and have offered to help us any way they can.  When he first met them last week, he was very quiet and didn't say much.  We didn't see any this week, so I don't know how he would react to them now.  He has begun talking a lot to us in Chinese, even though he knows we can't understand him.  I think he is normally a very talkative kid, and being silent was just too hard!  I think he feels comfortable with us enough now that he is just letting loose.

I don't know for sure, but I think Greg will start school later this week.  He is ready.  He is bored just hanging around here with me.  I know it may bring some major frustration in the language department, but I also know that it won't help him any to put it off.  I am just ready to get started and take whatever is coming.  He is a social kid, and I know he is nervous and excited all at once.

He has also decided it is okay to show he loves me--for which I am very happy.  I have gotten lots of big hugs, thank yous and I give him lots of kisses (which he tolerates).  I think seeing his big brothers readily accept my affection has helped in that department. 


At his first band competition - it was cold and windy!


His new best friend - Grady


Playing restaurant with his sisters


Being silly with his brother and roommate Gavin


Taking video of Sam (Grant & Anna's dog)
 Let me close with just saying that Greg is the perfect fit for our family.  He is really just right to fit into his place between his big brothers and little sisters.  God really knew what he was doing by telling Kevin we needed to make him part of us.  It really is so humbling and jaw-dropping when I think about this sweet boy's long journey into a forever family.  It was full of ups and downs for him, but I hope some day he will know how God has had his life perfectly planned from the start, watching over him each step of the way.  My biggest desire is for him to know that he is loved, by God and so many others that have been part of his life to this point, and so many more that will become part of his life in the future.  We are totally, completely and wonderfully in love with our amazing new son.  I can't wait to see what this boy's future holds...

4 comments:

Sheila Vance said...

Proud to know you, Sheryl. May the Lord richly bless you and your growing family. :-)

Amy said...

Our family adores your sweet boy. The boys have even remarked about missing him and hoping we see you all again. You are such a treasure and I appreciate your listening ear on our trip. Thanks for letting my boys hang out with Greg so often, they think he is one amazing boy. I have to agree.

Love to you all...
Amy

laurie said...

So happy that things are going well for you guys. It has been truely amazing to watch what God has done in your family. I'm so glad we met you on your first trip to China. May God continue to bless you guys.

Joel & Cassie Binkley said...

I'm so happy to hear that things are going well and Greg is settling in. He couldn't have found a better family! I hope bits and pieces of the languages start flowing easier ....I wonder if he'll be able to help Graycen and Galia remember any Chinese words?