Last weekend I was very sick. I had not felt that bad since my diagnosis and the time immediately following my hospitalization. I knew my liver wasn't working like it should. I ran a fever for over 24 hours, I was achy and felt miserable. Monday we were closing on buying a house, so I didn't want to have to go to St. Louis. I didn't want to go to the ER here. So I pushed through and survived to Monday. We closed on the house (we are homeowner's once again) and I had bloodwork done here in Springfield.
My bilirubin level was more than double what it had been on Friday. My liver function tests were all elevated. I had confirmation on why I was feeling so badly. I called my GI doctor in St. Louis that replaces my stents. They wanted me to have my bloodwork rechecked on Wednesday. I would be in St. Louis that day for my scans, so it worked out well.
Tuesday I felt a little better and Wednesday better than Tuesday. On Wednesday, Garrett and I drove to St. Louis to get my bloodwork and then a chest CT scan and an abdominal/pelvis MRI. We did that and then went to the hotel.
Thursday morning I had an appointment with the eye doctor to check for any damage that the oral chemo pills might have caused. Thankfully all was well and I'm just getting older and needed a higher prescription for my bifocals. Then I had more bloodwork and we waited to see my oncologist to get the results of my scans.
As soon as he walked in the room, he said, "Your treatment is working!" Garrett and I were shocked, especially after I had such a bad weekend. My tumor had shrunk (a tiny bit - 1.4cm)! All other places I have cancer were unchanged, stable. We couldn't really believe it. Of course, we were so happy, just surprised to hear good news. I know so many were praying for me over the weekend and leading up to my scans. I do know that all glory goes to God for the improvement (no matter how small)!
We then discussed what to do for my future treatments. I had already decided to come back to St. Louis to get my chemo because I just had done so poorly both weeks when I had it in Springfield. Maybe coincidence, or maybe they do things differently. My doctor suggested doing every other week treatments to give my body more time to recover between. I agreed, and he said 4 treatments and then we will rescan to see where my tumor is at after that. He still feels the oral chemo has helped me, and discussed taking an even lower dose just so I get a little of it working on my tumor.
My new schedule is:
September 7 - chemo - St. Louis
September 21 - chemo - St. Louis
October 5 - chemo - St. Louis
October 19 chemo - St. Louis
Then rescan at some point after that
So we are unsure what caused me to be so sick, but I am better and my liver and bilirubin have recovered. Maybe it just needed to get some yuck out! Regardless, I am thankful for God's hand in my life, giving me more time. Please keep praying and I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment