Monday, July 30, 2007

The night before Graycen's surgery (miracle)


Well, I am sitting in a hotel room in St. Louis. Graycen is trying really hard to go to sleep (haha). Okay, I have to go snuggle her for a little bit... Now I'm back. How can you say no to, "Mommy, will you come snuggle me?"

Today we went to have Graycen's pre-op appointment for the Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy surgery. We found out on July 2nd that this was an excellent opportunity for her, so we scheduled the first available time. Today was an extensive physical therapy evaluation, with video rolling the whole time to compare with as time goes by. She did surprisingly well with it all, getting stickers for rewards as she completed each task. She even amazed me by climbing up and down 6 stairs without assistance! Gavin told me that she has been doing it at home, but with Kevin--I didn't know she could do it. She got the green light to go ahead with the surgery tomorrow morning. She is the youngest patient, so she gets to go first. We have to be at the hospital at 6:30am, with surgery around 7:30 - 8:00am. We are believing that this surgery will be the miracle Graycen needs to help her walk and hopefully even run some day. The physical therapist, Sandy, reminded me of the commitment we are making to work with her for hours each day. She said that the next year is the "window" that we can help Graycen maximize the effects of having the surgery.

I have so many thoughts going through my mind. Like the fact that this surgery was described in the first website that popped up the first time I did a search for "spasticity cerebral palsy". These were the words that our pediatrician told me back in March 2006. I was so shocked to hear them and of course came home and immediately turned on the computer. I feel that God showed this to me as a source of hope that Graycen would walk some day, and placed the right surgeon so close to home. There is a little boy that just turned 3 also having the surgery tomorrow. They have traveled all the way from Los Angeles to come to Dr. Park. He has done over 1600 of these procedures, and is probably the best in the world. Mere coincidence? I don't think so!

So tonight as I snuggled with Graycen, I couldn't help but think of the changes that will happen tomorrow with the mere snip of tiny nerves. I am trusting that tomorrow is her Miracle Day, with so much to accomplish in the next year. I feel so blessed that I get to anticipate and witness this miracle. What a feeling!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am praying for your family and Graycen. I am excited about her miracle day! I hope the surgery makes a difference in Graycen's life, as it has in Elaine's.
Thank you for sharing Graycen's story.
I'm looking forward to reading your next post.

Unknown said...

we are praying for you guys! i am glad to hear the surgery went well, and that you are already seeing results. God is good!! all the time!!
lindsay