Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Birthday Girl

Monday was the big day. Even though I was unprepared (no cake ordered or presents bought) I still pulled it off. Next year I won't be able to get away with all I did yesterday. I will HAVE to be more on the ball. After we dropped Gavin off at school we headed to Sam's. Thankfully Care Bears came through as an acceptable second choice for a cake (Elmo was first--apparently you need to give a 24 hour notice for special order cakes at Sam's, okay I already knew this). So, we got to choose from the wonderful array of premade cakes in the refrigerated case...she said Care Bears were her choice, they added "Happy Birthday Graycen" and off to therapy we went.


Good morning, Birthday Girl!











She worked hard at therapy and then we met Daddy for lunch at McA's (we eat here entirely too much--obvious by my abbreviation of the name). After we went home for a quick nap, we were off again to pick up Gavin and make the present run to WM. She basically picked out what she liked and then we hid them in the cart under a rug, distracted her during checkout and home to fix lasagne for supper. I think she may have caught a glimpse of her presents because she made the comment, "I got everything I needed!" as Gavin was carrying her off so I could pay and load the cart back up.
















I'm 3 today!

Uncle came over and we had a yummy lasagne supper, then we had the lighting of the candles, singing and cake & ice cream. You can see Graycen laughing in some of the pictures. Her dad and brothers had a great time telling her to "Lick the Care Bears bottom!" She thought it was hilarious and only eats the frosting anyway, so she loved it.


















Happy Birthday to me!






My Dad is so fun!







Licking bottoms!


































As we celebrate the day Graycen was born, it is only natural that I remember her birthmother. Graycen had stayed with her family long enough to lose her umbellical cord. Do they must miss her and wonder how and where she is? I will never know, but can imagine that they do. Was her pregnancy and delivery difficult, I think so, based on the issues that Graycen has and continues to deal with. The type of brain damage she has usually occurs in preemie babies. Did her family have her longer than 10 days before they left her in a market? Maybe. So many unknowns, but so much joy Wu Hong Yuan has given to our family.

We love you, Graycen HongYuan, and can't wait to celebrate all your birthdays with you! I'll try and do a better job with your day next year.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like she had a wonderful birthday!

LaLa said...

Happy Birthday beautiful girl!!! Love licking the CB bottoms...boys ~ so funny!

Nikki said...

Happy birthday Graycen :)

Nikki
http://madebynikki.blogspot.com

laurie said...

Sheryl--you had Wendy and I cracking up. I especially like the shopping trip story. Glad you guys had a good day over all. Can't wait to see you in June. Give Graycen hugs from Abby & Emily.

Laurie
www.our2littleladies.blogspot.com

Linette said...

Looks like you had a fun birthday! You're such a big girl now. :) Happy, Happy Birtdday Graycen!

Love,
Linette & Hannah

Nikki said...

Hi everyone! I am just posting a little message on all the blogs I have designed letting you know that I am looking for ideas! As you know, I donate $5 of every blog to a Charity of the Month. Since you guys are what make Blogs for a Cause possible, I want your input for the future Charity of the Month for the months to come. Check out the first post on www.madebynikki.blogspot.com for full details. I can’t make any promises, of course, as I expect to get several suggestions, but I will definitely take everything into consideration! Please let me know of any ideas that you have of a group/person who needs monetary donations!
Thanks :)
Nikki

Marla said...

Awwwww, what a beautiful birthday post. Looks like it was a great day!! She is such a cutie!